Using Power BI
Before you can connect using Power BI, you just need four things:
- PowerBI Desktop can be installed from https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/desktop/.
- You can also use the Power BI service http://app.powerbi.com. An Office 365 subscription is required. This allows you to share reports, build dashboards, build mobile views, and auto-refresh data regularly.
- Your database name
- Your email address and Shipper password
- This sample file.
To get started:
- Save the sample file with the name of your database, e.g. ACME.pbix.
- Open the file using Power BI Desktop
- Edit Parameters:
- Enter your Instance (Database Code):
- Apply Changes:
- Enter your credentials. Make sure to choose Basic authentication on the left.
This is powerful and somewhat complicated, so here are some important notes:
- Double-check your numbers before you trust them.
- Focus on why you want the data. What decision are you trying to make?
- Data is only updated daily. Data like this is not real-time.
- It's meant to observe trends over time.
- It's meant to forecast the future, but only as much as you have provided.